The Mighty Boosh Review Pt. 1: Intro and Season 1

I know I said in my introduction that I would review films, but I think T.V. shows can be just as thought provoking and sometimes better than most films. Ironically, the show I want to review can probably be argue as neither of those things, although it's a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

As the title says that show is The Mighty Boosh, a surreal comedy from the U.K. The first time I laid eyes ever on this show was during a commercial for it on Adult Swim, which was playing it at the time. I never stood up to watch it because it aired at 1 a.m. and I like to usually sleep during that time, also I was only 14 and had strict bed rules. I didn't come across it again until recently when I was looking up another British comedian on YouTube. The suggested section showed clips of the show and I was instantly hooked. As I do with most new things I like, I looked up everything on it and made it my mission to know everything there is to know about it.

Just from the logo you can tell the show is out of the ordinary, but just look at the stars:

Yep, these two are our main characters: Vince Noir and Howard Moon played respectively by Noel Fielding and Julian Barrett. Probably even more shocking that these two are acclaimed in the U.K. for their surrealist humor. They're considered comedic geniuses over there, and by a moderately big fanbase here in the States which I'm now proud to be a part of.

The show's first season is mainly about Howard and Vince's adventures they have while working as zookeepers at a place called the Zooniverse. Howard's the visibly older and more serious of the two, but he's also the most loathed character by everyone in the Zooniverse. Hell, his coworker and crush Ms. Gideon seems to have short term memory reserved whenever they interact, because she ALWAYS forgets his name and NEVER takes an interest in him. On the other hand, Vince is childish and flamboyant but much more popular than Howard and is always seen wearing the most colorful outfits and rocking out the latest trends, going so far as to be called the "King of The Mods" for his commitment to his looks, I mean you can't argue either:


Why these two are best friends is hard to even fathom, but they are, and they perfectly compliment each other whenever they run into difficult situations.Other characters on the show worth mentioning are Naboo, a shaman who runs the gift shop and loves to smoke weed when he's not selling things or conjuring spells to help Howard and Vince, a talking gorilla named Bollo who Vince takes care of in the Zoo, and  the American manager Bob Fossil who can only be described as a hyperactive pervert.





 My favorite episode of season 1 has to be "Tundra", which borrows the plot from an unaired pilot of the show, where Howard wishes to look for a jewel in the Arctic Tundra to prove he's better than the Zoo owner, Dixon Bainbridge. Naturally, Vince goes to help him and they run into small hooded creatures, a Polar Bear who hates to be alone, and Black Frost, techno dancing freak who freezes his victims. It's the best in my opinion because its the perfect introduction to the crazy world of The Mighty Boosh and has a memorable sequence in the Ice Rap of the Tundra.
Overall, this is the best beginning this show could have, although I consider it the most tame in terms of outlandish adventures the characters have in the next season. I know most long time fans will disagree with me as this is the original incarnations of the characters, but I'm a sucker for more "colorful" imagery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mighty Boosh Review Pt. 2 : Season 2 and Changes

Sadako vs. Kayako - A Small Rant (SPOILERS)